The Skate Canada StarSkate Program offers skaters an opportunity to take optional tests in free skating, ice dancing, skating skills and artistic skating. These tests challenge a skater to learn and develop more advanced figure skating skills. StarSkate skaters work independently and with group and/or private coaches to attain certificates from Preliminary to Gold levels. They can compete in regional and provincial level competitions.
CanSkate or StarSkate skaters who show potential as competitive skaters can “jump” into the Competitive Program.
The Skate Canada Competitive Program provides opportunities for skaters to compete in a variety of competitions from the Sectional level to the national and international level.
Skaters compete in singles, pairs, and dance at events with levels ranging from Juvenile to Senior. Skaters who exhibit aptitude for competitive skating can advance from club competition to Sectional or National Championships and beyond.
Prince of Wales Skating Club Coaching Staff
- Wendy Mercer: NCCP Certified Level III Coach. NCCP Coach learning facilitator, 35+ years experience. CanSkate, PreSkate, STARSkate, Competitive. 579-6491
- Shirley Thistle: NCCP Certified Level II Coach. 30+ years experience. CanSkate, PreSkate, STARSkate, Competitive, Synchro. 754-1368
- Jennifer Osmond; NCCP Certified Level III Coach. 5+ years experience, CanSkate, PreSkate, STARSkate, Competitive. 722-1803
- Daisy Power: NCCP Certified Level II Coach. 16+ years experience, CanSkate, PreSkate, STARSkate, Competitive, Synchro. 437-7397
- Krista Kirkland NCCP Certified Level III Technical/ Theory Coach. CanSkate, PreSkate, STAR Skate, Competitive, 7 years experience. 690-6025
- Michelle Walsh, NCCP Certified Level I & II certified. CanSkate, STARSkate, Competitive, 13 years experience. 745-4209
Pre-Junior –Must have passed Stage 3 of the CanSkate Program.
Junior –Must have completed Stage 4 of the CanSkate Program. All skaters must have a private coach.
Intermediate – Must have passed the complete Junior Bronze FreeSkate Test.
Senior –Must have passed the complete Senior Bronze FreeSkate Test.
* The Club reserves the right to change location/times of sessions depending on ice availability
Skaters will only be permitted to skate on the session days they register for. Switching session days is not permitted unless a permanent change is made to the skater’s registration at the club office and is subject to space availability.
Program Assistant Policy
Jr./Sr. Skaters who are 12 years of age or older are REQUIRED to be a Program Assistant within our CanSkate Program. Skaters registering 1-2 days are required to sign up for at least one CanSkate Session. Those registered for 3 or more days must sign up for 2 (or more) sessions. If you skate Synchro in addition to Junior/Senior, count each synchro session as one day. (Please indicate first or second choice of sessions).
The requirement for older skaters to act as a program assistant is due to the fact that the costs for the Junior and Senior program are only partially defrayed by registration costs. Assisting in CanSkate sessions allows the club to run a comprehensive program and provide support to the StarSkate Program. *If an eligible skater is unable to fulfill the Program Assistant responsibilities, please contact the club for the unsubsidized registration fees.
All PAs must attend the PA Clinic,
For more information contact the Junior or Senior coordinators